The Democratic and Republican primaries in West Virginia's 1st Congressional District have easily enjoyed the highest national profile of any races in the state this year.
The Associated Press focuses on those races and those in the other two districts:
- Rep. Alan Mollohan, D-1st, is battling state Sen. Mike Oliverio, D-Monongalia, for their party's nomination. Political Wire noted the article by AP's Vicki Smith along with other coverage in a post, "Another Incumbent Fights for His Political Life."
- The six Republicans jockeying to take on Mollohan (or Oliverio) have also gotten attention beyond the state's borders.
- Rep. Nick Rahall, D-3rd, faces a political novice who planned to spend no more than $5,000.
- Four Republicans seek to challenge Rahall in November, in a primary contest marked by anemic fundraising.
- Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-2nd, is unopposed in her primary as is the district's Democratic candidate, Virginia Lynch Graf.