22 May 2007

Looking for Ugly

West Virginia Supreme Court Justice Brent Benjamin is among the listed speakers for Mudslinging in Judicial Campaigns: Beginning to Look a Lot Like Congress, a Wednesday conference at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

"In 2006, an estimated $16 million was spent on advertising in Supreme Court races in 10 states, more per race than ever before, with an escalation in fierce and often misleading attack ads," says the event's co-sponsors, the Annenberg Public Policy Center and FactCheck.org.

As the program notes, Benjamin was "elected 2004 in a race with record-setting third-party negative ads."

2 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

I physically held my nose when I voted for McGraw in that election. I was by no means a supporter of Big Papa Warren, but I couldn't stand having an election bought like that.

I'm just glad that the same approach failed miserably in '06.

Anonymous said...

That race was indeed a sh*tshow!